For a full description of the project, read "The Idea for the Formula" (May 1st post).

Friday, May 1, 2009

The Idea for the Formula

The Formula is the latest evolution of my continuing work with clothing (fabric, thread, buttons…) and it’s association to memory. It originated out of a desire to wear a unique combination of clothing items for each day of a single year. In developing a method that would prevent me from repeating an ensemble, I decided to connect the clothing choices to the month and date numbers, a combination that only happens once a year. As if that wasn’t enough, I also implemented a scheme for connecting the specific day of the week as well. The entire formula was established from my current wardrobe, assigning types of clothes as well as different colors, textures, patterns and fabrics with point values.

The result is a journal of my life, organized by what I wear. While not entirely, in most cases the specific day, month and date, can be figured by the clothing I am wearing. Though at times the formula is tedious, it is not intended to be torturous. Keep in mind it was developed as a way to uniquely mark each day for an entire year. On occasions, days may be marked by items not directly discussed in the formula, just as long as that combination is impossible to be repeated at a later date. Ultimately it is for everyday to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment